Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Happy 234th Birthday!

Today marks the 234th birthday of the Marine Corps! Even though we won't be at a ball this year celebrating, it still makes me really proud to have a Marine for a hubby on days like today! (and everyday, of course!) I know that he has enjoyed celebrating (and eating) with his buddies today! I was lucky enough to wish him a 'happy birthday' this morning before work! I'm so thankful today for my husband, and all of the other Marines, that have dedicated their lives to protect our country and our freedom! Semper Fi!

Ronald Reagan once said, "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the Marines don't have that problem." :) What an awesome quote!

Along with the Marine Corps birthday this week, we also have Veteran's Day tomorrow! My kids have been super excited about Veteran's Day this week with our school celebration tomorrow and letter writing to Veterans, along with a few Marines, this week! This is the poem that we will be working on this week... and I thought that it was too cute and wanted to share it!


Veterans Day
by Cheryl Dyson
On Veterans Day we honor all,
Who answered to a service call.
Soldiers young, and soldiers old,
Fought for freedom, brave and bold.
Some have lived, while others died,
And all of them deserve our pride.
We’re proud of all the soldiers who,
Kept thinking of red, white and blue.
They fought for us and all our rights,
They fought through many days and nights.
And though we may not know each name,
We thank ALL veterans just the same.
This poem, as simple as it is, brings it all back to why we should be thankful. We take for granted the freedom and rights that the veterans and service men and women fight for everyday. The sacrifices that they make... both big and small... often go unnoticed and unappreciated! Take the time this week to thank any veterans that you know or come in contact with! We need to show our gratitude and appreciation for these brave men and women that make these sacrifices so that WE don't have to!
On that note, Happy Birthday Marine Corps! and Happy Veterans Day, too! :)

1 comment:

  1. I loved this poem and what your wrote about it. My son is currently deployed and I know he'll be celebrating today as well. God bless your husband...and I'll add him to my prayer list. Happy 234th!

    ReplyDelete