Tuesday, September 15, 2009

missing my other half

Well, I had my surgery yesterday! I went into it really upset because I had talked to Dano on Sunday and he said that he wouldn't be able to call me until Wednesday night. When I talked to him Sunday, he was telling me about his first trip for his new assignment. He said that when they got to one of the bases, the Afghans insisted on making them hot tea and serving them fresh fruit. One of the generals that he was with tried to tell them that it wasn't necessary and they didn't have time, but they kept insisting... so Daniel was served hot tea and fresh cut fruit with the officers he was traveling with! He said, "I kinda feel important over here!" :) I know what this means, I'm in for it when he makes it home! That's ok with me! I'd love to spoil him! :)

He sounded great on Sunday.. seemed to really enjoy his trip with the officers and seemed uplifted and encouraged about what he will be doing! He said on Sunday that he was going to be flying out to another base until Wednesday... and he wasn't sure if they would have phones or internet so he probably wouldn't be able to call me for my surgery. That was really hard to cope with.. I'm so used to him babying me and taking care of me.. and for him not to even be able to tell me he loved me on the phone .. killed me! :( I tried my best to stay strong while I talked to him.. and then had a mini melt down once we got off of the phone!

BUT! :) He ended up calling me yesterday morning as I was walking to the Surgery Center! I was so excited to hear his voice! He said that he found a phone.. and I could tell this base wasn't as up to date as Leatherneck because there was a delay in the conversation for the first time. The number actually came up an 843 (Charleston) number and I almost didn't answer it! He had to call to the Charleston Air Force Base and that operator transferred his call to my phone! He sounded great and I know that he could tell that I was relieved to hear his voice before going in for the procedure. He told me that he would try his best to call back to check on me after I was out of surgery! He ended up calling while I was in surgery to make sure things were ok.. and then called again once I was out of recovery and in the room with my mom! When I heard his voice I just lost it! I was so relieved to hear his voice.. and the drugs didn't help me stay calm either! After I calmed down and we got our emotions out of the way, he told me that he would be heading back to Leatherneck for a few days before having to fly out again. He sounded great, but I could tell in his voice that it really bothered him that he couldn't be here for me. It was so great hearing his voice after coming out of the surgery.. that's the only thing that I wanted (well.. that AND apple juice!) :)

He called again this morning around 1:30am.. to check on me and tell me that he was getting ready to fly out and that he would call me once he made it back and settled back in! I heard from him again today around 1:30pm and he was going to bed! I'm sure that this traveling and being pampered is tough work ;) He doesn't realize just how blessed he is to be doing what he is doing.. everyone that I tell that knows the ranks and the military has such a funny reaction! It's unheard of for a Sgt to be working with all officers.. and I could not be more proud that my hubby gets this honor! :)

I'm really proud of my MARINE and everything that he is accomplishing over there! I still can't believe the potential that they see in him and the opportunities that this assignment is providing for him! These next 6 months will build his career and only strengthen his resume.. no matter where or what we decide to do from here! I'm so excited and happy for him.. he deserves to be recognized.. and rewarded for being a good man and an excellent MARINE!

He is going to call me again when he wakes up for the day.. I'm thinking between 11p-12a this morning. I think that he is flying out again on the 19th for a few days. Please please PLEASE continue to pray for his safety as he is making his rounds in Afghanistan! He will need all the prayers that he can get! :) Thank you again for all of your support! If you want to send him any encouragement, feel free! I know it brightens his day when he gets something from home!

Love y'all! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment